1111 or 205205 as it is better known as lives on the Epping Ongar Railway where it has had a superb restoration job.
It has been restored to Network South East Livery the which is the one it carried when it became a celebrity.
What made it a celebrity is that it was the only class 205 be modified with corridor connections (see image below), it also had a centre car which came from a CEP EMU but this was withdrawn and scrapped before the rest of the unit .
All photos are taken at North Weald on the Epping Ongar railway by Amy Adams
DEMU 1111 was one of the first batch of 18 units to be produced at the Eastleigh works, having been built on Ashford produced under-frames. These DEMU (Diesel electric Multiple units) were based on the BR designed 2 HAP units (Half lavatory with Electro Pneumatic Brakes, i.e. one lavatory to serve both carriages) as opposed to the Southern Railway design, that were produced from 1951 onwards; and the electric, BR designed, 2EPB (Electro Pneumatic Brakes) units that were produced from 1954-5 originally for use on the Tyneside 3rd rail system, but transferred to the Southern region in 1963 after the north eastern line was de-electrified. This first batch of DEMU was designated as 2h units, reflecting the number of coaches and the intended route base (Hampshire) and released for use on the 16th September 1957 for use on the Portsmouth / Southampton and Alton, non – electrified routes in Hampshire.
British rail and Southern railway had a long working relationship with English Electric Company, so inevitably, The English Electric Company were tasked to produce a diesel engine for these new units, which sat on a three point mounting. The English electric 4srkt diesel engine (4 cylinder, supercharged, RK engine designed for Traction as opposed to marine use)was subsequently fitted which powered 2 English electric EE507 motors that provided the drive to the bogie at the inner end of the DMBSO (Driving Motor Braked standard open). It was fitted with a suburban gearbox. In early 1958 the engine was up-rated from 500hp to 600hp with the replacement of its Napier MS100 turbocharger with a Napier MS200 model.
The 2 car units consisted of a Driving Motor Braked standard open carriage, which carried the engine, a driving cab and guard compartment. The second carriage was a Driving Trailer Composite, which had a driving cab and some first and second class compartments. Together the 2 carriages were 133 feet, 3 and a half inches long; weighed 88 tons and seated 13 first class and 114 second class passengers. A breakdown of each carriage is now discussed.
The DMBSO – carriage no s60110 consisted of a full width drivers cab – and was fitted with 2 EE507 motors with suburban gear ratios, and behind the engine was a guard’s compartment 8 feet 2 and a half inches wide. There was access from the guard’s compartment to the engine room, but no access to the rest of the passenger compartment. The passenger compartment consisted of 52 seats, located within 5 bays consisting of 3 seats on one side and 2 on the other. Smoking was allowed in this compartment. The carriage was 64 foot long – weighed 56 tons (split 32 tons on leader bogie, 24 tons on motor bogie) and was fitted with a buckeye coupler with rubbing plates, as opposed to the central buffer and 3 chain arrangement used on the 2HAP units mentioned earlier. It also consisted of an external lighting conduit along the roof. Underneath and between the bogies were fuel tanks and battery boxes.This first batch of these units had been ordered on the 16th November 1955.
The Driving trailer composite (DTC), carriage 60810, had a large 2nd class compartment but, unlike the 2 hap units of the time, did not have 3 first class cabins; only two. The outer first class cabin, behind the cab, was converted to a 12 seat second class compartment and was not linked to the other first class accommodation. The first class compartments had access to its own lavatory via a corridor and consisted of 13 seats. The large second class saloon consisted of 50 seats; was designated as non-smoking and had access to a lavatory. This lavatory was positioned in the centre of the carriage and on the opposite side from the 1st class lavatory. The two lavatories were completely separate and isolated from each other. This carriage therefore consisted of a total of 13 first class and 62 second class seats, 12 of which were located in the outer first class cabin next to the driving compartment. It was 64 feet long and weighed 32 tons and was also fitted with a buckeye coupler with rubbing plates. It also consisted of an external lighting conduit along the roof.
The unit was delivered on the 2nd November 1957.
Shortly after implementation, a new “Burgess” straight through silencer was fitted, following complaints about the excessive noise and there was also a problem with the mk 3 bogies. The 2HAP and 4 EPB units had been fitted with the same bogies, but very quickly cracking on the frames was discovered. From around September 1958 all of the Batch 1 DEMU stock was sent back to Ashford for the bogies to be modified. The modifications included more robust side spring hanger brackets and various types of vibration reduction dampers being fitted. With theses modifications the bogie was redesignated as a mk 4 and this bogie design lasted until the end of the units life.
In august 1959 the entire first batch of units was augmented with an additional centre coach, which had become a necessity due to the popularity and reliability of the units. These “Trailer second” coaches consisted of 2 saloons of 5 bays each, seating 104 second class passengers. One of the saloons was designated as non-smoking. The carriages were 63 feet 6inches long and weighed in at 30 tons. With the three carriages, the units were 199 feet and 6 inches long and consisted of 13 first class seats and 206 second class. This augmentation was completed by November 1959.The units were subsequently re-designated as 3H units. The trailer second for this unit was s60660
The unit also gained 'express' gear ratio motors during late 1959, but this, in combination with the extra coach, was not a success and 1111 was one of five units hastily reduced to 2H for use on the Alton line until 'suburban' ratio motors were refitted, when it was made-up to 3H once again early in 1960.
Unit 1111 gained a luminous orange 'vee' on the DMBSO cab end from 1960, later from 1964 a small yellow warning panel was painted onto both cab ends, that on the DMBSO having an inverted black triangle within it.
1111 was painted plain blue with full yellow ends from 09/10/1967 and went blue/grey by May 1981. It remained allocated to Eastleigh until 05/1972 when it moved to St Leonards for Oxted line work, returning to Eastleigh 10/1974 and stayed there until 02/1980 when it went back to St Leonards.
Unit 1111 was sent to Eastleigh 04/05/1978 as prototype 'refurbishment' with gangways , false ceiling, fluorescent lighting, pa system and seating layout redesigned. This unit became the only member of class 205/1, being released to traffic in 1980.
In the DMBSO, the original guard's compartment became a luggage space and a new guard's compartment replaced the innermost seating bay, the resultant 4bay saloon now seating 39.
The lack of any First class accommodation meant that this unit was usually based on the Ashford – Hastings line.
The Trailer Second (TS) now seated 98 and the DTS (no first class) seated 76 giving a unit total of 213 seats. Gangways were fitted between the coaches and this is the only unit that had this modification.
Unit 1111 was renumbered 205101 from July 1986 and was painted into NSE livery about June 1989. The unit was reduced to 2H from 01/1993 and 60660 withdrawn and converted to a 'Sandite' coach numbered ADB977870. This coach was finally scrapped at St Leonards during the summer of 2009.
In July 1995 the unit was sent to Eastleigh for repairs and overhaul and was released in Connex yellow/white livery.
This unit was out of service for about 8 weeks in March 2001, having collided with a tree near Three oaks.
This unit was fitted with TPWS ( Train protection warning system) in late 2002 / early 2003.
Unit 205205 was withdrawn at Selhurst on 23/07/2004 after working on 07:26 Uckfield to London Bridge that day which terminated at East Croydon. It was hauled to Tonbridge West Yard for store on 24/11/2004 and taken to St Leonards for engine repairs 30/12/2004, returning to Tonbridge 02/03/2005.
It was then sold to NYMR and hauled to Darlington 21/03/2005 and on to Grosmont the next day.
Little used by NYMR owing to a broken clutch fan whilst in use, it was then taken out of service.
The DMBSO and the DTC were resold to the Epping and Ongar railway and moved to Ongar (by road) 12/11/2009.
The unit was used over the weekend of the 15th/16th September 2013, resplendent in its new NSE paint job. A beautiful restoration job.
Chris Cannon 2013
http://www.southernelectric.org.uk/features/stockdir.html (accessed 07/08/2012)
http://www.hsups.org/ Hampshire & Sussex Units Preservation Society (accessed 07/08/2012)
http://www.semgonline.com/proto/emudes.html Southern Electric Group (accessed 07/08/2012)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class_205 (accessed 07/08/2012)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Electric_diesel_engines (accessed 07/08/2012)
http://eorailway.co.uk/departments/rolling-stock/demus/ (Epping Ongar Railway)(accessed 07/08/2012
Welch, Michael, 2005 “Southern DEMUs” ( pp12-19) Capital Transport Publishing ISBN 1854142879.
Welch, Michael, 2005 “Slam doors on the Southern” Capital Transport Publishing ISBN 1854142968