One of the sad sights in preservation is 1128.
Early on in 2005 not long after delivery the American owners of the Dartmoor Railway ran the unit through the catch points at Meldon Quarry resulting in a derailment, instead of repairing the minor damage it was just mothballed and left to rot.
There has been many attempts to purchase the unit but all have failed. Also at this point I have to say that the people responsible for this are not the Dartmoor Railway Supporters Association who run the passenger services, in fact the DRSA have tried to purchase the unit on many occasions
The above images were taken by Amy Adams at the 'Not the Last Thump' event in 2014 where we had the first line up of two class 205's in public in preservation
1128 – 4th batch
Unit 1128 was one of the 6 final batch of units, known as Berkshires, to be produced and were intended for service on the Fawley and Reading to Salisbury branch lines. These units followed on from the popularity of the previous units. They were built in 1962 as three carriage sets, but these units had some subtle differences from the earlier batches. These differences included the fitting of a smaller route number board between the front windows; framed windows fitted from outside the coach and slightly tapered windscreens. Units 1127 to 1130 had short sections of guttering above each door. These differences suggested that they were firmly based on the 1957 phase 2, type 2HAP (Half lavatory – Pneumatic brakes) electric units that were being produced at the time.
The 3 car units consisted of a Driving Motor Braked standard open carriage, which carried the engine, a driving cab and guard’s compartment. The second carriage was a Trailer second open consisting of 104 second class seats, in a two saloon arrangement. The third carriage was a Driving Trailer Composite, which had a driving cab and some first and second class compartments. They were ordered on the 26/04/1960 and were delivered on the 14/07/1962.
It was fitted with a suburban gearbox and the Napier MS200 supercharger providing 600 hp.
Following problems with the noise on the earlier batch 1 units, a "Burgess straight through " silencer was fitted from the outset and again following problems with the mk 3 bogies on batch 1 units, the more robust mk 4 bogie was fitted ; with its improved dampers and more resiliant sidespring hanger brackets.
The DMBSO – carriage no s60146 consisted of full width drivers cab – and was fitted with 2 EE507 motors with suburban gear ratios, and behind the engine was a guard’s compartment, 8’2 and a half inches wide. There was access from the guard’s compartment to the engine room, but no access to the rest of the passenger compartment. The passenger compartment consisted of 42 seats, located within 4 bays consisting of 3 seats on one side and 2 on the other. This reduced seating facilitated a larger luggage compartment. Smoking was allowed in the passenger compartment. The carriage was 64 foot long – weighed 56 tons (split 32 tons on leader bogie, 24 tons on motor bogie) and was fitted with a buckeye coupler with rubbing plates, as opposed to the central buffer and 3 chain arrangement used on the 2HAP units mentioned earlier. Unlike some earlier units, it lacked the external lighting conduit along the roof. Underneath and between the bogies were fuel tanks and battery boxes.
The Trailer second open (s60673) consisted of 104 second class seats in two compartments.
The Driving trailer composite (DTC), carriage 60827, had a large 2nd class compartment but, unlike the 2 hap units of the time, did not have 3 first class cabins; only two. The outer first class cabin, behind the cab, was converted to a 12 seat second class compartment and was not linked to the other first class accommodation. The first class compartments had access to a lavatory via a corridor. This carriage therefore consisted of 13 first class and 62 second class seats (50 in one compartment and 12 in the second compartment next to the driving compartment). It was 64 feet long and weighed 32 tons and was also fitted with a buckeye coupler with rubbing plates. Unlike earlier batches, it lacked the external lighting conduits along the roof.
The unit was originally painted in all over green.
From 1960 all units began to have a large orange “V” painted on the cab ends. From 1965, this was replaced by a small yellow warning panel. The end with the guards compartment was supplemented with a black upside down triangle within it, to indicate to station staff which end the guards compartment was located. By the end of 1966, this unit was repainted in blue with full yellow ends.
In 1997, following an overhaul at Eastleigh, this unit was repainted into connex yellow/white livery.
This unit was fitted with TPWS (Train protection warning system) in late 2002 / early 2003.
The unit was taken out of service in November 2004.
It is currently based at the Dartmoor Railway, awaiting restoration.
http://www.southernelectric.org.uk/features/stockdir.html (accessed 07/08/2012)
http://www.hsups.org/ Hampshire & Sussex Units Preservation Society (accessed 07/08/2012)
http://www.semgonline.com/proto/emudes.html Southern Electric Group (accessed 07/08/2012)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class_205 (accessed 07/08/2012)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Electric_diesel_engines (accessed 07/08/2012)
Welch, Michael, 2005 “Southern DEMUs” Capital Transport Publishing ISBN 1854142879.
Welch, Michael, 2005 “Slam doors on the Southern” Capital Transport Publishing ISBN 1854142968